Friday, October 22, 2010

pre-program, check

The pre-program is over. What a week. I now remember what college was like... always not getting enough sleep, and I didn't even go out! And thanks to the two night classes and a study group for Financial Accounting, I missed two Arabic classes and a yoga class... But I knew that would happen when I signed up for those extracurriculars. MBA is the priority.

My first case studies have been completed. I spent at least four hours pouring over just the first one... and while I did finally manage to balance my balance sheet (and yes, I felt like a rock star), I still got a lot of numbers wrong. That's why I was so presently surprised at how easy it was to resolve my doubts and mistakes during our first work group session. We had great group dynamics. Where as I might have spent 20 minutes going over one transaction, in the group, everyone offered their ideas, we all usually liked one more than the others, chose those debits and credits and moved on. It was great! We finished all three cases in record time, albeit with some errors, but hey, this is just the pre-program and we're only just getting our feet wet! Thanks pre-program Group 1 Financial Accounting Group 5 for a great first week. 

The pre-program classes have already started to change the way I think about some of my business ideas, and about what it means to analyze business processes. Financial accounting might not be something I want to do everyday the rest of my life, but I can definitely see the value in understanding it and being able to analyze income statements and cash flows.  

Plaza del Conde del Valle de Suchil
This week I found a great new place to study or read while it's still relatively warm out... a little park not too far from my apartment - Plaza del Conde del Valle de Suchil. It's not Retiro, but it's close and has lots of benches. 

Now off to unpack my box of clothes that has arrived from Italy, clean, make dinner, and start the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment