Monday, November 1, 2010

being the tour guide in Madrid and Segovia

This weekend my boyfriend visited me for the first time since I have moved to Madrid. A few friends from Torino decided to join him here for the weekend to experience Spain for the first time. I planned a great weekend of activities for them all. I have to say, I'm really good at vacation planning. As soon as I have tickets for somewhere, I buy the guidebook (or if I'm short on cash or decide the whole book isn't necessary, print out the Wikitravel guide), and read it cover to cover at least once. I decide what sights are must-sees, what food I want to eat (this is always a very important part of traveling for me... if you've notice, a lot of the pictures I post are of food!), and what needs to be reserved ahead of time. I don't plan every last minute, otherwise you take out the improvisation and need for laziness in vacations. I just know when museums, etc. are closed, and at what hours to visit to hopefully avoid too much tourist frenzy. I take pleasure in watching my friends enjoy their vacation, love the experience. 

The first place we went that was also new for me was Segovia. I'll be going there again tomorrow for the first "real" day of school, but the schedule is full, and not with sightseeing. Here's the view of the city from the Alcázar (castle):

View of the castle, from the castle:

And a view of the Roman aqueduct and the restaurant Mesón Cándido, where we ate lunch. [picture] This restaurant opened in the 1780s! Each room is gorgeous, full of photos and reliques, wood finishing and tapestried walls. This is a photo of the owner with painter Salvador Dali. Their specialty is cuchinillo,  tender, roast baby pig. 

It is late and I need to put my best foot forward tomorrow. Tomorrow the IE international MBA really starts. Tomorrow I begin the course I started preparing for over two years ago... All the GMAT preparation, emailing of current students, interview nerves... all for a year of MBA that starts tomorrow! Congrats and good luck to myself in taking advantage of every moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment