Monday, December 27, 2010

happy holidays! break time?

tree in Plaza del Sol
First of all, happy holidays to everyone! The expected thing to say would be that "I can't believe it's already Christmas break," but really I can... time flies, and that's why after taking a mini-break the 24th and 25th I'm back to work! This break, I'm in Italy with my boyfriend, but we'll be going back to Madrid 5 days before school starts back up again and I'd like to have that time free to explore more of the city and maybe take another mini-roadtrip. So, I'm still relaxing by reading non-school books, watching movies at night, and taking long baths, but I'm trying to work it all day long to get more internship applications, finish my part of the group projects due the first days back, and get ahead on reading. So far, sleeping in is putting me a little behind schedule, but it's so nice! 

In the two weeks since I've last written, I've been writing little notes in my notebooks to bring to my blog. My first reflection was on the case method. The school tells us that there are three phases of learning involved with studying the cases:
1. Individual reading and preparation of the case --> initial knowledge gained
2. Group discussion of the case --> additional knowledge gained
3. Class discussion of the case --> maximum knowledge gained
I agree that completing each of these steps gives you additional points of views and knowledge over the concepts covered in each case. My view on the value of the case method includes some other aspects, and for me, the mental knowledge acquisition process goes likes this:
1. Form a logical or intuitive response to the question each cases poses
2. Use the theory in the textbooks or presented in class to support or break-down my initial hypothesis
3. Remember key points of the cases in order to "substitute" actual experience with situations learned that I've never lived through
I find it's easier to remember the theoretical concepts for issues that I've actually experienced, and for those I haven't, some repetition between the different subjects helps to sink in other concepts. For example, we've talked about Maslow's hierarchy of needs now in at least two classes, if I remember correctly in Marketing and Organization Behavior, so despite my relative lack of experience in these two areas, the application of the theory has become very clear thanks to the repetition in different scenarios. 

Other reflections I scribbled down included that reason number 93 I'm luck I had the chance to work for an NGO is that I am flexible and capable of working without strict guidelines spelling out exactly what I need to do. Of course I can follow instructions, but when they're absent I'm not daunted by open limits. And lastly, that people with a "can-do" attitude are very inspiring (the graduated ex-Net Impact leadership!), and I'm going to make sure that I try and project that positivity to my peers as well.

Before I get back to researching, applying, emailing... I want to share some holiday cheer! I'm still learning to take photos with my iPhone so these are a bit buzzy, but here's some scenes of Madrid Christmas lights:
Calle Serrano
Corte Ingles - Calle Serrano
Plaza Chueca
tree at Gran Via

No comments:

Post a Comment