Wednesday, January 19, 2011

organizational behavior

Organizational behavior, or OB as it's known around here term 1 of the IE IMBA, is a really important subject. How we deal with our relationships by "managing up," out, or down really does have an effect on our motivation to perform. While our cases studies cover people's people management issues in professional work settings, I find the principles applicable to all sorts of group work. Today we delivered an important group presentation on a case about career choices and dealing with frustrating colleagues... and I can't stop thinking of some of my own relationships in terms of the characters we've "met" in our OB cases. I tell myself "I have to be less like Mike, be less cocky and self-assured," or "I have to be less like Lisa, such a big cry baby." The analysis is a little superficial, but the point is that I've managed up and down in my previous job sometimes with success and sometimes with no visible results, but without the vocabulary I'm learning now. Learning these terms, frameworks, and then the strategies of how to actually evaluate and resolve certain types of situations doesn't necessarily make my relationship frustrations less acute, but it definitely gives me more confidence about how to solve them in ways that are neither passive aggressive, nor too abrasive. 

On a different note entirely, good luck to my work group member who has jetted off to London for an internship interview!


No comments:

Post a Comment