Tuesday, August 10, 2010

first bureaucratic hurtle overcome! i have my visa!

Yesterday I picked up my passport with no problems from the Spanish Consulate in Chicago! First bureaucratic hurtle has been surpassed. I'm a little anxious about the immigration permit process once I arrive in Spain, just because it was such a nightmare in Italy... but it seems like IE has everything very organized with the local authorities. There's just going to be a little problem I should have foreseen - my Caja Madrid account (and therefore my Sallie Mae loan) will be blocked until I get my NIE (número de identificación de extranjeros - foreigner id number) number, which sounds like it will take about a month. So I'm going to have to raise some last minute cash to cover first month expenses, like a deposit on an apartment. All these little preparations are just part of the fun and learning process of moving to yet another new country!

No comments:

Post a Comment